Saturday, May 30, 2009

Quitting is not an option: T&T President

T&T President George Maxwell Richards addressed the nation Friday and confirmed that he is not quitting over the Integrity Commission fiasco. He said what is more important is "the welfare the country.”

Calls for Richards to resign have come from politicians and independent citizens over the recent appointment of members of the Integrity Commission and the subsequent resignation of members of the commission within a week of taking office.

Related: Integrity commission ceases to exist

Related story: McFarlane resigns

He repeated an apology made two weeks ago, saying he is sorry "for an error of judgment".

Richards offered no further details on the controversial matter or what led to the resignations, insiting instead that all consultations on the matter were private.

"May I say that, as President, I will not put in the public domain the conversations, of a confidential nature, that I held with anyone concerning the invitations to serve. That, in my view, is unseemly and not befitting the Office," he told the nation.

He added that The Integrity in Public Life Act is clear that "the President appoints after consulting both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition. After consultation, the President may decide that his choices stand, or he may choose to take a different choice based on the consultation or for any other reason."

Richards said, "Confirming an invitation to serve does not mean that someone else was party to the confirmation or directed it," in an obvious refrence to allegations that he may have been guided in his choices by the prime minister.

The president said the matter has not brought the Office of President into disrepute and he dismissed calls for him to quit.

"Resignation from office holds no terror for me. The central consideration in any step that I take in this matter must be the welfare of the country. Resignation gives no guarantee of that, and I will not allow the situation to be so manipulated as to result in yielding to pressure fuelled by lack of deep consideration of all the issues pertinent to resignation," Richards said.

He said he hopes that the nation would move on, adding that the "matters surrounding the Integrity Commission" have shown that democracy was alive and should be cherished.

The full speech is printed below:

Fellow citizens,

It appears that the statement that I made on 15th May, 2009, has been misunderstood. Let me emphasise, therefore, that any lack of clarity was unintentional.

It is being said that I did not offer an apology to the nation. May I say that my expression of regret was intended to convey just that-an apology. I have noted that the word "regret" is "used in polite formulas to express apology or sadness", but if it would give comfort to those who have a different interpretation of the word, I say now that I apologise.

The reiteration, by me, of concerns as conveyed in questions, which did not originate with me but which were raised in the media, by the public, acknowledged the questions raised, but was not intended to absolve me from responsibility or to cast blame.

On the matter of confirmation of appointments, the Integrity in Public Life Act 2000 in Part II, Section 4 (4) is clear, that is to say, that the President appoints, after consulting both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition. After consultation, the President may decide that his choices stand or he may choose to take a different course, based on the consultation, or for any other reason. Confirming an invitation to serve does not mean that someone else was party to the confirmation or directed it.

I maintain that there never was and there is no constitutional crisis based on the vacancies on the Integrity Commission or because of my absence from Trinidad and Tobago. The absence from the country of the President does not in itself create a constitutional crisis, as provision is made, in Chapter 3, Section 27 (1) of the Constitution, for the duties of President to be carried out in his absence by the President of the Senate, as has happened in the past.

In the face of the resignation of Justice Hosein and subsequently those of Mr McFarlane and Fr Charles, there have been calls for me to explain what could have led to those resignations and therefore, to reveal what might or might not have been said between myself and those nominees, prior to their appointment.

By the demands being made for answers and explanations, I am being required, in effect, to enter into debate regarding statements made by persons who were invited to become members of the Integrity Commission, in order, perhaps, to establish, inter alia, the veracity of what has been said by them.

Put another way, I am being encouraged, by these demands, to put up a defence, which is the very interpretation of my statement that has provoked ire. May I say that, as President, I will not put in the public domain the conversations, of a confidential nature, that I held with anyone concerning the invitations to serve. That, in my view, is unseemly and not befitting the Office.

I wish to make it abundantly clear that resignation from office holds no terror for me. The central consideration in any step that I take in this matter must be the welfare of the country. Resignation gives no guarantee of that and I will not allow the situation to be so manipulated as to result in yielding to pressure fuelled by lack of deep consideration of all the issues pertinent to resignation.

I have already apologised for error of judgment. To err is not to act disreputably. I have noted and listened carefully to the comments expressed by members of the public and have given the matter due consideration. I do not share the opinion held by some that I have brought the office of President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago into disrepute and accordingly, see no reason to resign or to engage in further debate on the matter.

I wish to thank the many individuals who have written or spoken in measured support of me. It is my hope that we, as a nation, will move on. The matters surrounding the Integrity Commission, which have occasioned negative fallout, have given us the opportunity to see that democracy is alive in Trinidad and Tobago. This should give pause for serious thought and reinforce our determination to guard it and to improve on it.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good night and may God bless Trinidad and Tobago.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai