Monday, March 16, 2009

A matter of journalistic standards and ethics

Amrit Sharma

I don't know Newsday journalist Seeta Persad but if a letter I have received about one of her columns is accurate then I am deeply concerned about her professionalism and ethics. And it is cause to be equally worried about Newsday.

On Sunday Newsday carried a column titled "Amrit Sharma – academic and religious success" with Persad's byline. It included quotes from Sharma.

This is from the column: “I am happy that my parents chose to attend the Swaha temple. My involvement with the temple has helped me to become focussed as in devotion one is required to become calm and to concentrate on God,” he (Sharma) said.

(Read Seeta Persad's column)

The column gave the clear impression that Persad interviewed Sharma since she used direct quotes and didn't attribute any of them to other sources.

Sharma, the subject of the story, is not amused.

And this is what he has said in a letter to Newsday:

"Dear Editor,

"After reading the article on Amrit Sharma (me) by Seeta Persad in yesterday's (Sunday March 15, 2009) newspaper, I not only became disappointed but more so disheartened.

"My story, as reported by accurate journalists in the past like Suzanne Bhagan and Richard Thomas, tells a story of someone who strives for excellence and appreciates the merits of hard work.

"Both those reporters impressed me because their articles were not only well written but were honest and truthful - unlike Seeta Persad's article from your newspaper.

"Seeta Persad never bothered to interview me but instead decided to fabricate an interview and mislead the public. The very first sentences of her article were plagiarized from another newsletter and moreover she misrepresented me.

"How can an author write an article about excellence when she takes short-cuts and demonstrates poor journalistic standards? How can someone be so cavalier in attributing qualities to me without consulting me?

"I understand that your reporter may have had more altruistic intentions of motivating the public but this could have been done in a more sincere, honest and professional way.

"After reading the article I must pose a simple question: Is the Trinidad Newsday a serious newspaper that reliably informs the reader or is it simply a tabloid?

"Kind regards,
Amrit Sharma."

Over to you Seeta!

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai