Thursday, January 29, 2009

Woman freed of killing husband tells women don't take abuse

Leela Ramdass Singh killed her abusive husband in April 2003. She was tired of the abuse, so he took a brick and smashed his head, killing him instantly. Police charged her with murder but at her trial last Tuesday a judge set her free when she pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of manslaughter.

Now she is telling women they don't have to take the abuse.In an interview with the Trinidad Express, she said:

"I want to say to those ladies and men out there who are abused, that they are not less of a person and do not need to stay in that relationship. There is help out there and seek help. There are people out there who can help.

"Persons abused need to realise that they are special and should be treated like a jewel, a gem. Sometimes you are in a relationship where you do not even realise that you are unique, because the abuser keeps telling you you are not; but you can get away from that relationship.

"Seek help for yourself and the person. I have been a victim over a period of ten years, and I reached a stage while I was in prison, and it was only then I realised the power my husband had over me. I wish to never get involved in that area of my life again."

Ramdass has two children - eight-year-old Brian Ramdass, ten-year-old Megan Singh.

During the time she spent in prison awaiting trial she studied and passed three O-Level subjects and she even attended religious services in the prison. She also studied cosmetology and is scheduled to do the exam this year.

"There were times when I was depressed. I would take that moment and let it soak in, to learn from my experience to understand that I did something wrong, and to be smarter in my future actions," she said.

The woman's mother, Sumatie Ramdass, told the Express it's a miracle from God that she daughter is free and back home.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai