Saturday, April 5, 2008

TT opposition embarks on public meetings "In Defence of Democracy"

The Opposition United National Congress Alliance (UNC-A) in Trinidad and Tobago is embarking on a strategy of taking parliament to the people after refusing to attend Friday’s sitting of the House of Representatives, leaving the opposition benches empty.

A police officer stopped Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday from entering the precincts of Parliament on instructions from Speaker Barendra Sinanan.

Senior Superintendent Lopez told Panday Sinanan instructed him on Thursday to prevent the Couva North MP from entering the House.

Panday explained that he was on the way to conduct the people’s business with his colleagues and that he was under the impression that his suspension from the House was for one day – last Friday, March 28.

This is how the exchange went between the former prime minister and the police officer:

Panday: "The suspension was for one day, so I come to do my duty and I don't know who's stopping me from entering the Parliament...is it the Speaker? Did the Speaker order you to arrest me if I come here?"
Snr. Supt Lopez: "Yes Sir, the Speaker has said to restrain you from coming."
Panday: "Restrain me physically, with force and violence and that kind of thing."
Snr. Supt Lopez: "No violence Sir."
Panday:
"How could you use force without violence?"
Snr. Supt Lopez: "I know you are a man of wisdom."
Panday: “I am not quarrelling with you, I assure you of that, OK.I am here to do my duty because I received no communication from anybody and I presume that I was right to be here, if however you say you are instructed by the Speaker not to let me in, I will comply with your wish."

Panday and his UNC-A colleagues left shortly afterwards.

Panday told reporters the "laptop affair", which has caused his suspension until the end of the current parliamentary session in December, is a red herring to cover-up the true intent of taking away people’s rights.

And he suggested that the Speaker is involved in a conspiracy with members of the People’s National Movement (PNM) to undermine democracy.

The party announced shortly afterwards that it is embarking on a series of mass public meetings, beginning Monday at Debe Junction. It will hold meetings every night at different locations in the party’s heartland on the theme In Defence of Democracy.

No comments:

Jai & Sero

Jai & Sero

Our family at home in Toronto 2008

Our family at home in Toronto 2008
Amit, Heather, Fuzz, Aj, Jiv, Shiva, Rampa, Sero, Jai