|PM Kamla Persad-Bissessar welcomes China's President Xi Jingping to Trinidad in 2013|
Persad-Bissessar was invited to visit China by President Xi Jinping during his visit to Trinidad last year. It was the first visit to the country by a Chinese head of state.
Both countries are celebrating 40 years of diplomatic relations and Persad-Bissessar will mark the occasion by opening T&T's first embassy in Beijing. She will also visit the cities of Shanghai and Guangzhou.
The visit was originally planned for November 2013 but was postponed to give both countries enough time to make all the necessary arrangements for the event.
Persad-Bissessar told reporters Friday some of the discussions with will include the possibility of a Chinese-built hotel in Tobago, or the expansion of the Magdalena Grande. She also said T&T might seek guidance from China in the areas of national security.
The Prime Minister will arrive in Beijing on February 23 and leave on February 28. Her overseas trip will include stops in London, England and Dubai, UAR.
In China her itinerary includes:
- A courtesy call on President Xi Jingping
- A meeting with the premier of the China
- A courtesy call of the chairman of the National People's Congress
- The opening of the T&T embassy (Tuesday 25th February)
- A visit to the China Agricultural University
- Business meetings in Shanghai and Guangzhou